An apology--Ed Sutton

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 20:07:45 -0800

Dear Ed,

Most graciously written, though my ego was not pricked by what you were
saying --
well, not much ...

I find it encouraging that several of the people writing most earnestly
about this supposedly crucial inaccuracy had the direction of it wrong ...
good for Bob Davis!

Tuning a couple of not-so-hot pianos since we had this discussion, I tried
the A4 after I finished my usual procedure -- it seemed beatless with the
fork. So, wondering how I ended up awfully close to where I should be by
the "wrong" method, I started thinking about it.

I don't set the A4 from F3 and the A-440 fork. I set A3, using the fork and
F3. Once A3 is beatless to the A440 fork, and F3 is a reasonable beat rate
from A3, I tune F4 to a pleasing octave (well, pleasing to me ...), and
then fiddle with C#4 till the contiguous major thirds proceed pleasantly,
changing the F's if needed. Then I lay the rest of the temperament -- if
all goes as I expect it to (I have been doing it this way for 28 years,
after all ...) the G# at the end of the sequence will be happy with the C#
from the beginning of it, and I move on to octaves, after running fifths
and fourths to see that they are equally happy or unhappy, depending on the
instrument. I march upward, treating A4 just like all the other notes
----------- and there may lie the saving grace. I make all the octaves just
slightly wide of what your machines might consider dead straight perfect.
And this stretch may be just the amount needed to get the A4 fundamental
beatless against the fork.

I do them this way because I like the sound better. It's less stretch than
would yield a noticeable beat, short of holding, waiting ... waiting ....
waiting ....................... etc.

So, if when I check the A4 against the fork it is okay ------what is all
this worry about? I mean, the world really doesn't need any more slipshod
piano tuners than it already has, but is it slipshod if my ear, listening
to the note and the fork together over several seconds, can't tell the
difference? What earthly harm is that small a discrepancy (if even worth
mentioning) going to do to anyone?

There are so many undesirable aspects of pianos which are plainly audible
to an unaided ear, and which often just go by the wayside -- why not pay
more attention to them, and not worry about the "Nano-Issues"? I don't
really see the point of spending so much time dissecting gnats.

On the other hand, I (sometimes) am happy that people with minds put
together somewhat differently than mine enjoy taking unreasonably exact
technical devices, and working out _exactly_ where the gnats like to hang
out. It's nice, on general principles, to know these locations, and have a
grounding in general gnat-anatomy, though I will always depend on my ear
instead -- so it ends up as kind of an academic pursuit. Never mind, we all
have our roles in life ... we all make our various contributions.

Regards,
Susan Kline (oh, yes, RPT, and I tuned A4 on the test using F2 ...)