Lovely birdcage - what to do?

pianotune05 pianotune05@comcast.net
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:26:59 -0500

Hi Terry,
I wasn't fromally instructed how to raise pitch, but what I did on the =
old piano was simply get a4 in the right pitch, yes I used f2 orcourse.  =
Then I proceded to tune it and get an idea where the thing was or what =
neighborhood it ws in as one customer of the thrift store said to me.  =
It kept falling in places, and I didn' t have time to finish it. I'ts =
one I'm practicing on and I the thank  you letters I get are going to =
make good references.  It has quite a few loose tuning pins, buzzing =
strings, just in bad shape. Th ey want $550.00 for it. It's some brand =
manufactured in New Jersey.
Marshall
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 6:56 PM
  Subject: Re: Lovely birdcage - what to do?

  "..... the guy..... "tuned the piano to itself."  I asked her why did =
he leave it flat?  She siad she didn't know."

  I'm really not sure why that is so common, but my best guess is that =
two prime factors are involved (maybe more?).=20

  I believe many of the "old timers" - piano technicians who were =
trained many years ago - were commonly instructed to not raise pitch. =
Why? I have no idea, but I have been told that was common to teach a new =
technician many years ago.

  My guess is that also there are techs out there who have had minimal =
training or improper training and simply don't know how to raise the =
pitch of the piano. I think also there are some techs who either have =
not been trained on how to replace a string or choose to not invest in =
the tools and supplies to replace a string - so they are afraid to raise =
pitch becuase of the potential for strings breaking.

  Terry Farrell

    ----- Original Message -----=20

    I was thinking of what you said earlier about leaving a piano flat.  =
I just returned from my eye doctor who own an old upright.  I'm not =
certain of the brandd, but she claims that it's from the 1800s. I won't =
dispute her of course because I haven't seen the piano, but she told me =
that the guy, a seasons pro like most of you guys, "tuned the piano to =
itself."  I asked her why did he leave it flat?  She siad she didn't =
know.  She asked about strings etc.  She said that it's flat because her =
obo when played with it shows that the piano is off.  Are there cases to =
leave a piano flat, or did this guy tune the piano to a different a =
fork?  I've heard that old pianos are tuned to a lower A. =20
    Marshall
    ps. I never tune a4 tof3.  I like f2 because I can hear the beats =
better. =20

      -------------- Original message --------------=20
      From: "Geoff Sykes" <thetuner@ivories52.com>=20

      > The techs I refer to shall remain anonymous for my protection. =
And they are=20