Impact tuning lever

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 18:10:09 -0500

I also have one (Mahaffey type), but only use it for pitch raises on =
verticals with tight tuning pins. I is very heavy and I find it =
impossible to fine tune with it. Dean Reyburn sells a line of impact =
hammers that are lighter and the claim is that they are much better =
suited to fine tuning. I plan on trying one out at the next convention I =
go to.

Terry Farrell

>From the Reyburn Cybertuner web site:  =
http://www.reyburn.com/cyberhammer.html

There are several impact levers on the market, but all we have tested =
are far too heavily weighted to allow fine tuning. The force on the =
models we tested varied from 150% to as much as 300% of the optimum =
force needed for fine tuning! When the force applied is too much or off =
balance, fine control for small tuning adjustment is difficult to =
impossible. Many tuners have tried impact levers and given up because of =
the improper weighting. However a correctly engineered impact tuning =
lever with the proper weight and balance is fully capable of the finest =
pitch adjustment and the production of stable piano tunings.=20
Another problem is the lack of a padded handle. Either the levers have =
no handle (a bare steel rod) or they have a hardwood handle which adds =
unneeded expense and weight. Ours have a double padded golf type grip =
for a great feel that doesn't damage your hands.=20

After years of asking the piano tool makers to make a properly weighted =
impact hammer with a functional padded handle, we're finally offering =
the "CyberHammer" impact tuning lever.=20

  ----- Original Message -----=20

  I've used an impact hammer for thirty years, and wouldn't be without =
it.  It sets pins beautifully.

  I had a terrible time getting used to it, but stuck with it for about =
five days, used it exclusively during that time.  THEN, I loved it.

  Stick with it for a week; you may end up loving it, too.

  JRW