Working while tuning

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 00:51:25 EST

In a message dated 1/4/2006 8:44:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
pianotune05@comcast.net writes:
When you mention that I might miss feedback during tuning, what do you mean?
Do you mean feedback from customers, the store staff, or the piano's various
issues?
Marshall,

A piano responds to pitch raising in a fairly predictable way. An experienced
tuner expects a certain amount of rebound in pitch, and can often recognize a
structural problem within a few minutes, based on an abnormal pitch drop
while rough tuning, either over the whole scale, or sometimes in a particular
area, like on both sides of a plate strut.

About strips - I use thick action cloth, cut tidily down the middle with a
roller knife. I cut it all the way to the opposite end, except for about an
inch. This leaves me a double-length strip. I use two of these, inserted
alternately. That is, in a grand, I insert one strip on the left side of note 88, then
on the left side of note 86, 84, etc. I go to the bottom of the tenor. Then I
put the other strip on the left side of 87, 85, etc. to the bottom of the
tenor. I continue through the bass. If it was, say, a 26-note bass, I'd put the
strip on the left of 26, 24, 22, until running out of doubles. Tune one string
on each note, yank one of the strips and tune one string of each unison, yank
the other strip and tune the remaining unisons. This leaves very little rubber
muting, and saves time. There is considerable discussion about whether this is
satisfactory for fine tuning, but I'll leave that to you to decide later.
It's certainly efficient for rough tuning. It will need to be adapted somewhat
for verticals, but is still useful.

I am not sight-impaired, but I have tried this with my eyes closed, and it
didn't take much longer than with them open.

Hope this helps.
Bob Davis