Working while tuning

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 23:21:35 EST

In a message dated 1/4/2006 7:35:25 PM Pacific Standard Time,
pianotune05@comcast.net writes:
It's real hard to tune in a thrift store
Marshall,

One other possibility: Often pianos wind up in thrift stores because they
have structural problems that make them untunable, such as a plate crack or
separating pinblock. Since your experience is limited, you might miss feedback
during tuning which will make this more obvious when you've tuned more.

As far as the time it takes to tune, it takes as long as it takes. It isn't a
matter for either shame or pride. Quality is what matters, although speed is
desirable for a number of reasons, including avoiding fatigue. Speed comes
with experience AND training. While there are specific speed skills that more
experienced tuners can share with you, you also just need mileage.

You mentioned losing time muting. Even if you were fully-sighted, I would
suggest you learn some strip-muting. Especially on pitch adjustments, this will
save lots of time and fumbling. You can also do things like leaving the tuning
lever on the previous pin until you are ready to move it.

I don't know if you are a PTG member. It might seem expensive to a tuner
without much work, but it will be the best investment you can make.

Happy learning,

Bob Davis
Stockton, CA