RUBBER MUTES

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 23:04:26 -0500

When I first started tuning for pay, I think maybe some pianos took me =
up to two or three hours to tune. FAKE IT! Just mumble some things =
like.... "golly gee whizz, this piano has such tight tuning pins - just =
takes a little longer to make things just right".

Make it seem like the long time you spent on their piano was because you =
singled out their piano as being WORTH spending a little bit extra time =
to make things right. As long as the end result is a good tuning, most =
folks will be thrilled with the "extra attention."

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  The tuning lever i'm getting is the schaff 21 with the extension just =
in case I might need it.  When I was using the student hammer, I had to =
lift the handle in some places in the grand because the handle kept =
knocking the iron strut, I guess that's what it's called.  The pins were =
loose too, and man one little tweek sent the pitch across town only to =
return once I sent it back.  I always kick myself when I'm tuning too =
long. what if someone thinks, "Hey this guy doesn' t know what he's =
doing?"  I drove the cashier crazy plunking the keys.  Terry and =
everyone, this piano was so flat, I had to on some occasions notch the =
pin three four or five times way sharp and match the other strings to it =
to get it in pitch only to have it fall again.  Is it me when it falls, =
or the piano.  I'm careful to get a little above beatless and then =
gently put it back.  UGH!!! I'd love to try out a new piano just once. =
These old ones a! re about to drive me n uuts.=20
  Marshall

    -------------- Original message --------------=20
    From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>=20

    I'm curious, how long does it take everyone here to tune?  It's =
still taking me 3hours ;(  Will a new lever speed me up?

    I'm real regular at 2 hours for a pitch raise and tuning. Today I =
tuned a newer K&C (Samick) Studio (first time appointment for =
piano/client). It was 25 cents flat. Drove up the driveway at 10:00 AM, =
and backed out the driveway at 12:04 AM. A full tuning on a piano that =
hasn't been tuned in a year ranges anywhere between 50 and 90 minutes =
for me - usually about 75 minutes.

    A good lever will help you speed up - not immediately, but with =
time. I found that I kept hitting plateaus - I wouldn't get faster for a =
long time and then suddenly I would seem to leap (or at least inch =
along) to a new level. I have also found that so much about tuning =
faster is simply finding peace with what can and can't be done with any =
particular string/piano. A string that has false beats isn't going to =
tune cleanly no matter how many times you yank the pitch up and down - =
the trick is to develop an ability to recognize what ain't going to get =
any better.

    Terry Farrell

    ----- Original Message -----=20
      I'll have to check out piano tech's catelog for those mutes.  I =
didn' t see them in schaff?  The metal sticks get in the way especially =
in the trebble. =20