RUBBER MUTES

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 21:30:38 -0500

Marshall,

It sounds like you have several tuning pins that are too loose to hold
tension. You will never get those strings tuned until you get the pins
tighter. There are several posts in the archives on using thin CA glue
to tighten pins.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of pianotune05@comcast.net
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 8:49 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: RUBBER MUTES

HI Terry,
The tuning lever i'm getting is the schaff 21 with the extension just in
case I might need it.  When I was using the student hammer, I had to
lift the handle in some places in the grand because the handle kept
knocking the iron strut, I guess that's what it's called.  The pins were
loose too, and man one little tweek sent the pitch across town only to
return once I sent it back.  I always kick myself when I'm tuning too
long. what if someone thinks, "Hey this guy doesn' t know what he's
doing?"  I drove the cashier crazy plunking the keys.  Terry and
everyone, this piano was so flat, I had to on some occasions notch the
pin three four or five times way sharp and match the other strings to it
to get it in pitch only to have it fall again.  Is it me when it falls,
or the piano.  I'm careful to get a little above beatless and then
gently put it back.  UGH!!! I'd love to try out a new piano just once.
These old ones a! re about to drive me n uuts.
Marshall

From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
I'm curious, how long does it take everyone here to tune?  It's still
taking me 3hours ;(  Will a new lever speed me up?

I'm real regular at 2 hours for a pitch raise and tuning. Today I tuned
a newer K&C (Samick) Studio (first time appointment for piano/client).
It was 25 cents flat. Drove up the driveway at 10:00 AM, and backed out
the driveway at 12:04 AM. A full tuning on a piano that hasn't been
tuned in a year ranges anywhere between 50 and 90 minutes for me -
usually about 75 minutes.

A good lever will help you speed up - not immediately, but with time. I
found that I kept hitting plateaus - I wouldn't get faster for a long
time and then suddenly I would seem to leap (or at least inch along) to
a new level. I have also found that so much about tuning faster is
simply finding peace with what can and can't be done with any particular
string/piano. A string that has false beats isn't going to tune cleanly
no matter how many times you yank the pitch up and down - the trick is
to develop an ability to recognize what ain't going to get any better.

Terry Farrell

I'll have to check out piano tech's catelog for those mutes.  I didn' t
see them in schaff?  The metal sticks get in the way especially in the
trebble.