Knabe restoration

Carlos Ralon ceralon@comcast.net
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 18:51:02 -0500

Hi Terry;

I would much rather absorb and share piano technology than explain my =
philosophy. But, to assure my friends on the list that I don't do piano =
work for nothing, please understand this. I am a charter member of this =
PTG and I could never repay it (the Guild) for what it has given me. As =
a WW II merchant marine veteran I also could never repay this country =
for the opportunity it has given me. Therefor, I have donated thousands =
of hours of time and money to this Liberty ship project. I am also an =
active crew member on the ship working as an oiler on the massive triple =
expansion steam engine. Do I make a profit? You bet I do! In my 53 years =
of piano service in the Washington, D.C. area I can assure you I have =
done very well. Profit is the bottom line. Having owned three retail =
full line music stores for over 30 years, along with my piano service =
business, profit was what it was all about. No piano technician should =
ever give his or her service ignoring the bottom line. Let me assure all =
that trying to restore life to a piano that is unworthy of our talent is =
not going to be a profitable venture. This 1893 57" upright Knabe piano =
should have been junked. Maybe salvage the rare action and fancy case =
parts. But I would never have devoted my waning hours had it not have =
been for a good cause. I think we should always be careful what big jobs =
on junk pianos we undertake, lest they return to bite us in the stern. =
(That's the back end)

Now, let's get back to butts and flanges.

Carlos Ralon, RPT