RUBBER MUTES

pianotune05@comcast.net pianotune05@comcast.net
Tue, 03 Jan 2006 01:12:01 +0000

Hi everyone.
I must say. I'm enjoying this list as a new tuner.  Susan and everyone else that wrote, thanks for the insight.  When you're vision impaired, any extra sight helps. ;)  Speaking of my sight challanges I have a question.

What does everyone here do in order to overcome the challange of using rubber mutes in the trebble when tuning unisons?  The stick ones get in the way of the hammers.  I don't want to use a wedge mute fearing that it might get loose and fall down into the piano.

Speaking of unisons.  An RPT in Chicago taught me the "cracking the unison" method, and I must say, it's much better than using that pain in the rump red felt.  When you're sight impaired that felt gives you headaches.  Do any of you use that method that originated from Virgil Smith?
Have a great night everyone.  Susan, I'll let you know when my first real tuning lever arrives.  Does anyone want my student lever for fire wood after I receive my real lever?
Marshall
 .

From: Erwinspiano@aol.com

   Thanks Phil
  Same to you.
    Sorry for the delay....Holidays & all.   The product brand we use to letter the embossing on the plates after guilding  is" Zig " & it's called Painty twin.  It's black enamel on one end & white on the other.  I'm not sure if it comes in black only.  We got the pen at Michaels art supply.   It says Manufactured by Kuretake Co.LTD.......Japan Or just go on line & see what you can find. The tip appears to be fine point made of felt.
     We have a more difficult time finding rub on numbers & letters decals for serial &  model numbers.  Typically we have found them at graphic supply houses.  Archetects have used them but We haven't bought for a while. sooo dunno.  We  have a procedure to get those on straight but I wont' go there now.
  Lettering the plate with the zig product has become way less tedious & looks professional.  If one makes an error just wipe up with mineral spirits & start over.
   The decals are rubbed on & then sprayed over with clear spray can lacquer or whatever..  We resort to drawing the string size no.s on with the same pen as the embossing as the tiny no. decals aredifficult & troublesome to handle, being that small.  Hope this helps.
   Dale Erwin
Hi Dale - Happy New Year to you.

You told me about the pen used to trace the letters..I am wondering
about the method used for the Serial# and Model#. I always struggle with
this all-important touch of the plate.

Thanks for your advice,

-Phil