Fwd: Fw: The 8'11" Steingraeber is still here...

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:48:02 -0600

>  HI All
>    Just a  post to say that I saw & played this piano a few weeks ago
> when in the LA area & it was a superb instrument. I was beautifully
> made/constructed & the sound is very Strong & sweet.  Truthfully it
> reminded me of My Steinway D in a tonal sense.  It had excellent
> sustain, power & clarity.  It had a small cut-off bar & a small fish. yup.
>   A real winner.
>    Sincerely
>   Dale Erwin

I've looked at the underside photo of it on their web page a
few years back. It looks like a pretty substantial bass cutoff
to me, and fanned ribs (though not enough...<G>). I've thought
the ones I've seen at the conventions sounded pretty good,
crawled underneath, and noticed the little fish. Dale, the
website photo shows what looks to me like a cutoff in the tail
too, rounding that big square acreage down to something
manageable. Is it just a shadow, or is it in the actual piano?
They tell us in their convention class that square tail is
there to reflect sound so the pianist can hear it better. Uh
huh. Of course, they then tell us that the beveled soundboard
treble cap is to wedge the panel edge back and maintain crown
in the last octave. Uh huh again.

Ron N