Bridge Notch Anomaly

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:10:48 -0700

Hi The second post, I think it was from Ed mentioned that the voicing
changed the felt shape.
This is in effect mating hammer and string eliminating a string level
problem. For a while <g>
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "David Ilvedson" <ilvey@sbcglobal.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 6:48 PM
Subject: Re: Bridge Notch Anomaly

> I went back in the archives and found the original post:
>
> "Oh Wiser-than-I Ones, (of which there are multitudes!)
>
> I heard a "zinging" in the attack of a low tenor string on a customer's =
> piano.  She heard it, too, and didn't like it.  (Turned out a little =
> needling on the hammer at about 1 o'clock and 11 o'clock softened that =
> attack nicely) Upon close inspection I notice an anomaly in the way the =
> bridge was notched. It's the right string of the lowest plain string =
> unison.  I was wondering if I might elicit a few opinions about the =
> looks of this.  I've attached a photo -- I hope it comes through!
>
> The bridge isn't notched all the way across on that right-most pin.  On =
> the side that the string bears there is certainly a good notch, but to =
> the right of that it's not.  Seems like that would actually strengthen =
> rather than weaken the pin's hold, but since it looks unusual I thought =
> I'd ask.  Extending upward from the un-notched edge there is a visible =
> line.  That's the border of the notching.  It is not a crack.  This is a =
> fairly new piano, about 3 or 4 years old, a Knabe Studio Upright."
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Dorr
> Helena, MT
>
> After reading it again..."On the side that string bears there is certainly
a good notch, but to the right of that it's not", I can see where Ron's
coming from...
> When they notched, they left the end of the bridge unnotched.  It isn't
touching the string...there's a good notch...voicing took care of the
problem...the whole question was about the little un-notched part of the
bridge...jeesh....I know, I contributed to the post also but that was only
cuz I didnt' read the original post carefully...;-]