Bridge Notch Anomaly

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:48:35 -0800

I went back in the archives and found the original post:

"Oh Wiser-than-I Ones, (of which there are multitudes!)

I heard a "zinging" in the attack of a low tenor string on a customer's =
piano.  She heard it, too, and didn't like it.  (Turned out a little =
needling on the hammer at about 1 o'clock and 11 o'clock softened that =
attack nicely) Upon close inspection I notice an anomaly in the way the =
bridge was notched. It's the right string of the lowest plain string =
unison.  I was wondering if I might elicit a few opinions about the =
looks of this.  I've attached a photo -- I hope it comes through!

The bridge isn't notched all the way across on that right-most pin.  On =
the side that the string bears there is certainly a good notch, but to =
the right of that it's not.  Seems like that would actually strengthen =
rather than weaken the pin's hold, but since it looks unusual I thought =
I'd ask.  Extending upward from the un-notched edge there is a visible =
line.  That's the border of the notching.  It is not a crack.  This is a =
fairly new piano, about 3 or 4 years old, a Knabe Studio Upright."

Thanks,

John Dorr
Helena, MT

After reading it again..."On the side that string bears there is certainly a good notch, but to the right of that it's not", I can see where Ron's coming from...
When they notched, they left the end of the bridge unnotched.  It isn't touching the string...there's a good notch...voicing took care of the problem...the whole question was about the little un-notched part of the bridge...jeesh....I know, I contributed to the post also but that was only cuz I didnt' read the original post carefully...;-]

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, California