What a relief!

pianotune05 pianotune05@comcast.net
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 23:31:07 -0500

HI Dave,
How long did you wait to become an RPT after joining the guild as an =
associate member?  I'm not in a hurry, just curious because I want ample =
time to prepare and do everything possible to learn this trade first. =20

A local tech gave me the name of a lady who wanted her piano tuned. It =
turned out that she was price shopping and RPT shopping. She asked if I =
was an RPT. I told her that I was joing the guild, associate member.  =
She has it in her mind since a piano teacher told her that anyone less =
than an RPT wasn't good enough for her. So, I figure, I better have my =
sightes on the RPT level as a future goal not one to stress over, but =
one to keep in the back of my mind. =20

I'm just enjoying my new membership and the excitement of going to the =
convention this year.  However, I want to keep learning and moving =
forward one tuning pin at at ime. ;)
Marshall
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 9:41 PM
  Subject: What a relief!

   For those of you on the exam prep list, forgive the duplicate =
posting!

  After failing both parts of the regulation test last July, I retook =
them this morning and passed both....ahhhhh....now I feel like taking a =
long nap!  I'll wait a little bit before scheduling the tuning test.

  Tips for those who are going to take these tests:

  If you're planning on having that extra cup of coffee to get up for =
the test, forget it!  You will not need the extra nerve boost.  Have a =
cup of herbal tea instead.  Do something to relax.  Listen to some =
really soft music on the way.  I went for a bike ride this AM to =
disperse the excess nervous energy I woke up with.

  Make sure you get all parts travelled and aligned.  The actual =
regulation goes pretty smoothly once those things are done.  If you =
don't get things in a row first, you'll do lots of backtracking, which =
is one thing that cost me lots of time in my first attempt.

  IMHO, the upright model assembly/regulation was far harder than the =
grand because of the 3-note factor.

  Relax.

  Relax.

  Relax.

  That's all I have to say...I'm going to sleep now!

  Dave Stahl

  Dave Stahl

  Dave Stahl Piano Service
  650-224-3560