Yamaha under water

PianoManWO@aol.com PianoManWO@aol.com
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 16:23:11 EST

Hi  All

My Name is Wally and I joined the list a month or so ago. I don't have much
to say so I just look. Well, to the point of the under water Yamaha's I have
serviced 2 different Model P22 pianos one was where a new roof was installed and
the first storm that came through on a weekend at one of my schools and the
water came in on it for 2-3 days,  A month after they told me that it was taken
in to storage at a local warehousing Co. and It was full of nasty black
stuff.  At this point It looked as if it may be a total loss. I had the movers
bring it to my shop and took it apart, took the keys out and went to work.  I
washed the keys with bleach (yes the stuff you do laundry with) and washed them in
the sink. ( crazy right, but you can't hurt a total loss) Well the black for
the most part washed off. With only slight staining, same for the key bed. I
let the keys dry over the next week, refelted the key bed and put the keys back
in. all the keys had swollen and some had warped, 4-5 real bad so they needed
some major adjustment so back to the sink to be soaked again, this time I put
a large C. Clamp with the screw to the side I wanted to warp. (Yes, and this
worked) Well so much for this, the rest of the action did not seem to have
gotten much water on them. (4-5 hammers showed damage but dried well) I kept it
in the shop for 6 months after to see if there would be more damage but none.
This piano is still in use today it should be about 10 Yrs. old now.

Thanks

Walter Oventrop RPT
St. Louis, MO