a hammer question

TOM DRISCOLL tomtuner@verizon.net
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 00:20:14 -0500

  Subject: a hammer question

  Hi everyone,
  I have a future customer who has a piano with a hammer, get this, =
that's split.  He has the other, top half.  Rather than order 88 hammers =
which I was told would have to be done because I cannot just order one, =
I was given another idea.  I was told that there is a sleeve that can be =
placed on the hammer shank that is still attached to the action and then =
the top half is inserted in.  Does anyone know if this is a hard =
procedure as I'm just getting into the repair side of piano tech?  Where =
can I buy such a sleeve?  Thanks again, and if this is one of those, =
obvious things as CY mentioned to me yesterday, I appologize.
  Marshall
    Marshall,
        I'm a bit confused by your question.
        Is the hammer "split" or the hammer shank ?
        If it's the shank, this is as common a problem as exists in a =
vertical piano., and if the hammer is  "split" why would you have to =
replace all 88 hammers?
        If the shank is broken and has a long surface area you can glue =
and wrap with thread, or better replace the shank.
        Forget the sleeve idea,--- they suck.
        If you need to replace one hammer ,the supply houses offer =
remnant hammers for cheap .Sort of a Bag-O- Hammers that can be a source =
for spot replacement. This will also give you some voicing experience to =
get a somewhat mismatched hammer to blend in with it's neighbors.
       =20
       =20
       =20

       =20
        Marshall, You needn't apologize, and I'm not being critical =
here--We all need help and advice, no matter what our experience. and =
the list is a great resource but it is not a school for piano technology =
101.
         I would encourage you toward a course of study or purchase the =
PACE lessons from ptg. Link below:
       =20
        https://www.ptg.org/store/index.php

        My advice is to find the resources to establish a basic =
foundation of knowledge. The PACE lessons or sessions with an =
experienced technician come to mind.
        I joined PTG in 1975 and became a member of the SW florida =
chapter.
        On meeting day, the late Ed Wood opened his shop for the =
afternoon and along with help from the other RPT members, worked with =
new Student and Apprentice members on repairs and regulation.I can't =
tell you how valuable that generosity and experience was to me back =
then.
       =20
        Best wishes ,
        Tom Driscoll RPT