Schimmels at Costco? was Re: Falconer pianos?

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 15:16:01 -0500

I haven't worked on an "American Sejung" Falcone (aka stencil piano
made in China), but it sounds like the Sejung line is improving in
quality. I have worked on some Hobart Cables, purchased several years
ago, that were acceptable, but in need of a lot of upkeep which the
owners weren't very interested in doing until keys would fail to
function, etc. Mostly seized action centers and rapid need for action
regulation  due to felt compression, parts warping etc.
The Boston Chapter of PTG had its chapter meetings at Santi Falcone's
establishment through the 1980s, and we witnessed his business'
Steinway rebuilding gradually evolve into the manufacture of his own
fine piano. So the Sejung Falcone seems like a rather sad event to me.
I did do a post delivery tuning of a Suzuki, paid for by Suzuki (full
retail price for the tuning). It was pretty solid, but the hammers
were very dense and bright. With enough needling perhaps there's a
nicer tone in there somewhere?
Speaking of Costco and pianos, one of my customers says some Costcos
in Washington state also sell Schimmels -- does anyone have knowledge
about this? My customer is thinking of having a relative on the west
coast make the purchase, and then shipping it out here
(Massachusetts).  Yeah, that could be sticky but she says the markup
is only 6%!
Patrick Draine