laminated ribs

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:00:12 EST

Terry
   All good stuff my friend. I love the ah  ha's!  we learn most indelibly
that way.

The first time I did that was a MAJOR "Ahh-Ha" moment for  me!

On one belly on a very small grand we did we found that  we were not seeing
the compression we were expecting after loading. So we  ended up planing some
of the ribs down a tad and then  everything was fine. Had I not evaluated
loaded crown deflection in this  manner, I might have produced a piano with a
too-stiff soundboard (I suppose  crown would have lasted for a couple hundred
years.....).

  Probably

I'll bet I know what it is.

   Approx half the pre strung/uncompressed value. Ie.  total crown on longest
rib is  10 mm reduces to 5 MM under load. Or if not  what are you shootin for?

  Dale

What?

Terry Farrell