laminated ribs

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:19:56 -0500

Dale Erwin wrote: Is that a Weber grand? =20

1890s Knabe.

What does the bathroom scale say the psi per go bar is 100 lbs or so?

Well, you can make the cross-section dimensions and lengths so that they =
exert whatever pressure you want. I simply find it easiest to use two or =
three go-bars for each string section. Most of them are in the 50 - 60 =
lb. range - but like I say, just dimension the go-bar so that you get =
whatever pressure/weight you need.

I'd be interested as to how much precompression your board is showing in =
this condition.  You can measure it in mm at the three treble plate =
struts before & after stressing =20

Or, for a much more complete picture, you can measure the change in =
crown at all accessible ribs! That's what I do. You get dirtier and say =
more nasty words, but you sure get a great picture of what is happening =
down yonder. I tape a string at one end of the panel near a rib and hold =
it to the panel at the other end of the rib. Then I use a series of =
little feeler-gauge wooden blocks that I made up (in half-millimeter =
increments) to see which one will just fit between the string and the =
panel bottom. I do that at all accessible ribs both before pre-stressing =
and with the board loaded.

The first time I did that was a MAJOR "Ahh-Ha" moment for me!

On one belly on a very small grand we did we found that we were not =
seeing the compression we were expecting after loading. So we ended up =
planing some of the ribs down a tad and then everything was fine. Had I =
not evaluated loaded crown deflection in this manner, I might have =
produced a piano with a too-stiff soundboard (I suppose crown would have =
lasted for a couple hundred years.....).

I'll bet I know what it is.

What?

Terry Farrell