laminated ribs

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:47:52 EST

Terry
   Is that a Weber grand?  What does the bathroom scale say  the psi per go
bar is 100 lbs or so?I'd be interested as to how much  precompression your
board is showing in this condition.  You can measure it  in mm at the three treble
plate struts before & after stressing  I'll  bet I know what it is.
  Dale

David M.  Porritt wrote:

While you have an unstrung board is it possible to put weights on the  bridge
approximating the downbearing load you expect to have then reexamine  the
crown and bearing angles?  Would this give an elementary idea of the  board's
ability to sustain that load?

Yes indeed. I consider that to be an integral step to  setting up a new
soundboard. I use go-bars to apply down-force to the bridges  (see the picture
below). I calibrate the go-bars by measuring the go-bar  pressure with a scale
(see second picture - my wife keeps bugging me: "Terry,  where is the bathroom
scale?"). I suspect that after one has built and set up  many, many soundboards,
this step may not be necessary. But I find a  tremendous educational
dimension to the process.

Terry  Farrell