laminated ribs

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:52:24 +1100

Hi Dave,

I didn't realise you'd addressed your post to me until I got home this evening.

>Ron:
>
>While you have an unstrung board is it possible to put weights on
>the bridge approximating the downbearing load you expect to have
>then reexamine the crown and bearing angles?  Would this give an
>elementary idea of the board's ability to sustain that load?
>
>dp
>
>David M. Porritt
>dporritt@smu.edu

Actually its a very good idea. Quite a few are loading their boards
prior to stringing to get some indication of sinkage. If you had
enough mass on hand, you could load the board right up to your
intended downbearing load to see where the board will sink to. I
haven't done this but its a very sensible idea. With our new pianos,
I've been building soundboard test strips with one rib and loading it
with the downbearing mass that we have intentions of setting up, for
the rib under examination. When you see one of these strips groaning
under the Kgs you get to understand just what we're asking of it.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers