laminated ribs

pianotune05 pianotune05@comcast.net
Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:17:30 -0500

I know one thing. This talk about ribs is making me hungry. I'm going to =
my first guild meeting in Chicago on Tuesday. Are there any others on =
this list part of that guild?  Where can I get some good ribs in =
Chicago? =20
Marshall
ps. the lady canceled the mouse job. YEAH!!!!!!!
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org ; mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com=20
  Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2006 10:36 AM
  Subject: Re: laminated ribs

   Terry
      The times I've done this there seems to be a fair bit -o- saw dust =
from machining.  After  re-sawing one slice off the slab  each exposed =
face will require a trip thru the planer/jointer  to provide for a nice =
glue joint.  Hey there's waste in any wood milling operation.  Terry has =
a big fat bandsaw though & I hear he's good with it.  Hey Terry, Still =
got all the fingers?
     Dale
    Right.  I was wondering how it would be less wasteful to make =
laminated
    ribs.  Now I get it.  Curiosity has me asking what kind of stock you =
are
    using to make your ribs, Terry.  How many plies?  How much have you
    experimented with different number of plies, dimensions, grain =
orientations,
    etc?

    This subject is intriguing to me.

    Regards,
    William R. Monroe

  Dale Erwin--Piano Restorations
  4721 Parker Rd.
  Modesto, Calif 95357
  Shop 209-5778397
  cell 209-985-0990
  WWW. Erwinspiano.com
  Specializing in the  restoration, service & Sales of
  Steinway, Mason & Hamlin, & other fine pianos