laminated ribs

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:36:07 EST

Terry
    The times I've done this there seems to be  a fair bit -o- saw dust from
machining.  After  re-sawing one  slice off the slab  each exposed face will
require a trip thru the  planer/jointer  to provide for a nice glue joint.  Hey
there's waste  in any wood milling operation.  Terry has a big fat bandsaw
though & I  hear he's good with it.  Hey Terry, Still got all the fingers?
   Dale

Right.  I was wondering how it would be less wasteful to make  laminated
ribs.  Now I get it.  Curiosity has me asking what kind  of stock you are
using to make your ribs, Terry.  How many  plies?  How much have you
experimented with different number of plies,  dimensions, grain orientations,
etc?

This subject is intriguing to  me.

Regards,
William R. Monroe

Dale Erwin--Piano Restorations

4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Calif 95357
Shop  209-5778397
cell 209-985-0990
WWW.  Erwinspiano.com
Specializing in the  restoration, service &  Sales of
Steinway, Mason & Hamlin, & other fine  pianos