laminated ribs

William R. Monroe pianotech@a440piano.net
Sat, 18 Feb 2006 07:41:45 -0600

Right.  I was wondering how it would be less wasteful to make laminated
ribs.  Now I get it.  Curiosity has me asking what kind of stock you are
using to make your ribs, Terry.  How many plies?  How much have you
experimented with different number of plies, dimensions, grain orientations,
etc?

This subject is intriguing to me.

Regards,
William R. Monroe

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech List" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2006 5:00 AM
Subject: Re: laminated ribs

CAN BE less wasteful. If you are using stock that would otherwise not be
used (cosmetic defects, grain characteristics, etc.), indeed laminated ribs
are less wasteful. However, if you are using nice looking, beautiful
grained, quarter sawn Sitka Spruce (or whatever you are using in your
panels), laminated ribs consume about twice the amount of wood compared to
solid ribs.

Thank goodness Del's research, that he so kindly is willing to share,
suggests that grain angle (quarter/flat-sawn) doesn't seem to matter much in
the laminated rib. So yes, for me, I am often using wood that otherwise
would not be used.

Terry Farrell