laminated ribs

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 18 Feb 2006 06:00:30 -0500

CAN BE less wasteful. If you are using stock that would otherwise not be =
used (cosmetic defects, grain characteristics, etc.), indeed laminated =
ribs are less wasteful. However, if you are using nice looking, =
beautiful grained, quarter sawn Sitka Spruce (or whatever you are using =
in your panels), laminated ribs consume about twice the amount of wood =
compared to solid ribs.

Thank goodness Del's research, that he so kindly is willing to share, =
suggests that grain angle (quarter/flat-sawn) doesn't seem to matter =
much in the laminated rib. So yes, for me, I am often using wood that =
otherwise would not be used.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----=20
SNIP