laminated ribs

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:39:22 -0600

> Hi,
> While not being very learned on this subject, it seems to me that the ribs
> supply two main functions. To support or maintain the boards shape and to
> help in transducing vibrations to the entire board surface.
> If the ribs or board are too massive they will act as a mute, and if too
> frail the system will fail.
> A balance, using the Roman arch principle, is what I envision in the perfect
> board.

You and most everyone else on the planet, it seems. The system
is about as unlike an arch as it's possible to get.  It's an
opposing spring system, with the strings pushing down, and the
soundboard pushing up, with bridges clamped between the two to
distribute input over the whole system.

> The edge of the board can be thinner in both board and rib becuase the rim
> supports the
> assembled board.

If the diaphragm can't flex where it's mounted at it's edges,
it isn't going to work as a diaphragm. So at least the ribs
are thinned at the diaphragm's perimeter. The panel needn't be
if it's not too thick overall.

> Final coat of whatever, will change the tonal output of the board just like
> a violin or guitar.
> Joe Goss RPT

Not a heck of a lot, but universally, the thicker and/or
softer the finish, the more the dampening effect. Keep it
light, and give the board a chance to do it's job to whatever
degree it's able.