laminated ribs

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:29:18 -0600

>   By the way you sent this thru last week & I didn't have time to say it
> was very well described & if one takes time to really anaylisze the
> dynamics of this rib design the vibrational effiecncy of this shape  rib
> seems ... transparent.

That's the idea. Doing it's job with high efficiency, without
adding unexpected and unwanted secondary effects.

>    The way you described it made it crystal clear in my thought process
> & I hope others.  I catch on quick after a long time!

Yea, me too - sometimes.

>   What about using the same approach with a solid rib.

No reason not to. The feathering isn't an artifact of
lamination. It'll work the same in a solid rib. The reasons
for laminating include ease of crown machining, accuracy, and
both higher and more uniform statistical average MOE from
batch to batch.

>     Vibrational waves emanating at the bridge & radiating outward is all
> s.o.p. thought and this rib design whether it be laminated or not seems
> to aid the idea of the soundboards center as the starting point for
> vibration & also showing the most movement.
>
>   Dale

Whatever. I have no way of knowing what the little waves are
doing, and wouldn't know what to do about it if I did. The
structural reaction alone is impressive to me, and the quality
of sound produced indicates to me that either something good
is happening, or that something detrimental is not.

I'm a definite fan.

Ron N