Steinway 1098

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 18:58:51 -0500

Soundboard
Created like the soundboard of violins to give a free and even response =
throughout the entire scale,

As in carved?

it is so constructed as to be 8 mm thick in the center and tapered to 56 =
mm (typo?) as it approaches the rim and outer case before being DOUBLE =
CROWNED.=20

But which way? My brand new 1098 had a full 6 mm of negative crown! When =
I called S&S in NY and asked to speak to technical representatives, they =
were unable to tell me which way a S&S soundboard should be crowned.

This design permits complete freedom of movement,=20

Suggesting no energy loss? Neat trick!

while acting as a homogenous unit to displace a greater amount of air, =
thereby creating a richer and more lasting tonal response. =
Close-grained, quarter-sawn Sitka spruce, a wood having unusual =
stability and vibrance under stress and vibration, is used exclusively =
for the soundboard.

Ribs
Made from durable, resinous sugar pine to assure strong and constant =
support of string down-bearing on the soundboard.=20

Hmmm. So the S&S vertical has rib supported crown?

Rib ends are hand-fitted into their mounting surfaces virtually locking =
in the important soundboard crown.

Well, this much appears to be true - I pounded and pounded on my 1098 =
soundboard and could not get the negative crown to reverse into positive =
crown - I figured if I hit it hard enough that maybe it would "oil can" =
and pop back to a more proper configuration.....   ;-)

Bridges
Treble: Hard rock maple vertical laminations capped with solid hard rock =
maple; planed to prescribed height, graphite coated, drilled, and =
notched by hand for precise individual string bearing. Design defies =
splitting.=20

Solid maple defies splitting? Seems to me I've seen this design split.

Bass: Solid rock maple mounted to cantilevered at splined base. Maple =
doweled, glued, and screwed to soundboard.

Marketing is an amazing thing. My wife and I enjoy walking down the =
cosmetic isle at the bulk food store - "buy our new wrinkle cream - with =
aqua botanical exfoliants". Botanical-exfoliants, double-crowned - same =
thing.

Terry Farrell

  ----- Original Message -----=20