Piano Rebuild Client AWOL

William R. Monroe pianotech@a440piano.net
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:20:51 -0600

Terry,

I agree strongly with Stephens advice of presenting a new contract AND
receiving funds prior to doing anything else with the piano.

That said, I guess I would first really plumb the depths of the Mother's
(and your) brain for a solution to the problem that would work toward
completing the work on the piano - at least to the point where work wouldn't
have to be undone in order to finish the job later.  Really explain to her
what she would be getting back if it were just "put back together."  I think
many people who speak like this think that just "putting it back together"
will give them something usable - which I presume would not in this case.

I dunno, it is not an easy situation, but I really would try and find a
solution that involves finishing the instrument, if possible.

Regards,
William R. Monroe

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Grattan" <lostchordclinic@ameritech.net>
To: "Pianotech List" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 1:03 PM
Subject: Re: Piano Rebuild Client AWOL

> Hi Terry,
>
>   Get any past due and future due funds ( to reassemble the piano and
needed parts) in advance and send in writing to her a new contract stating
what you are going to do and what warranty you will offer (if any) because
the job will not be complete. Do not proceed without receiving a new signed
contract from her. I have had this happen twice and it is no fun.  In fact
one such problem is occurring now. Customer moved to Vegas and we have not
heard from her in 5 + years !

>   Steve Grattan
>
> Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>           I've just run into a first for me. Couple years ago I contracted
with a local couple (the husband to be specific) to remanufacture their old
Baldwin M grand (5'3") - new soundboard, action, finish, etc. The piano was
originally purchased new by the woman's grandmother and was handed down to
her (read: sentimental value - no other piano will do). They put the first
1/3 of the contract fee up front. I completed building the new soundboard,
bridges, ordered parts, etc., etc. The next step was to move on to
refinishing - that is when the next installment of funds was due.

>   I tried to contact them at that point (several months after I started)
and was unable to - all phone numbers disconnected, etc - I tried internet
searches with no luck. I now learn that the couple got divorced, the woman
moved to the Carolinas and the man seems to have disappeared from the face
of the earth.

>   I stopped working on the piano a long time ago because it seemed I did
not have a client and roughly 1/3 of the work had been completed.

>   This morning I get a call from the woman's mother inquiring about the
piano. I explained the status and she asked if I could just "put it back
together" and that she had no funds that she wished to invest in the piano -
but realizes that it may cost something to make it whole again in some
minimal fashion.

>   So now I'm trying to figure out some sort of solution to this situation.
I seems very clear there will not be a "good" solution to this situation
(unless, of course, the husband is found and is willing to complete the
contract - which mom will try to do - but I'm not going to hold my breath).
I only wish to get paid for the work I do to the piano. I do not wish to
hold anyone to complete the full scope of contracted rebuilding tasks - that
would be best for the piano, but I don't think anyone will want to pay for
it. I'm going to figure up a fee for making the piano whole for the least
cost. That will be such an awkward solution - new fabulous belly - peeling
finish - dull plate - so-so action with chipped/cracked ivory keys. I feel
so uneasy about such an end. And I know the lady won't be happy with the
piano either.

>   Does anyone have any constructive thoughts for a least-bad outcome to a
situation like this? Maybe there is some avenue/direction that I have not
thought of. Thanks.