Harpsichord tuning

Avery avery1@houston.rr.com
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:59:04 -0600

Aart,

No, your regular tuning hammer will not fit! However, I've done a lot
of harpsichord tunings and have yet to know of one that didn't have a
tuning hammer that came with it. Now, whether it's there or not when
you get there to tune it is another story! :-) I ALWAYS make sure first!

There's also two possibilities of tuning pins. One is the one which
is similar to a regular piano tuning pin, except smaller! (Which I
MUCH prefer!) The other is a rectangular type which needs a special
tuning lever. We have one of those at the university and I DON'T like it!

Thankfully, our Fortepiano reproduction has the "regular" tuning pin.
Much easier to tune. IMO.

BTW, make sure you know what pitch level they want (415 or 440). And
what temperament? Is it an "adjustable" keyboard? Do you know how to
shift it, if necessary?

Tuning a harpsichord "can" be much more complicated than tuning a
"normal" piano! :-)

Avery