Blue handled mute

pianotune05 pianotune05@comcast.net
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:35:20 -0500

Hi Andrew,
A little alcohol, just plain alcohol will do the trick?  I'll give it a =
try.  I agree, no furniture polish on a piano.  My wife and used to see =
that when we did more commercial cleaning, bad stuff.
Marshall
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Andrew and Rebeca Anderson=20
  To: Pianotech List=20
  Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 10:43 AM
  Subject: Re: Blue handled mute

  We clean piano strings with alcohol after "alternative" performances =
to avoid the caustic effects of sweat/natural-body-oils.  Gets us the =
needed moisture without lingering to cause rust.  When cleaning a =
piano's interior you want to avoid the use of caustic and oily =
substances.  I'd be really cautious about what to use around the =
pinfield.  Plain old furniture polish can ruin a pinblock.  Seems to me =
that something alcohol based would be safest.  =20

  Andrew Anderson