Big, fat, wide, shallow rib mystery "solved" ???????

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 20:37:43 -0600

> I'd love to, if I ever get the time.

If you have an hour to dedicate to your education, you've got
the time. If not, you'll never know anyway.

>I'm guessin' that
> the intent of this rib design is to maximize support,
> while retaining excellent elasticity, and that the
> grain orientation has a  lot to do with it.

Yes, that would indeed be guessing. The grain orientation has
virtually nothing to do with it, which you could find out for
yourself with minimal effort and sincere desire to know.

  > P.S. If anyone out there wants to test this hypothesis
> before I can, please feel free, and please report
> back.

It's been done, and reported to the list, as has most of what
is eternally re-hashed here in perpetual mystery. Asking
questions and speculating randomly is always easier than
working something out for oneself and reaching one's own
conclusions based on the logical reality of what one finds,
and one gets the luxury of picking and choosing what one
wishes to believe as a matter of convenience rather than
considering what the cumulative evidence indicates. Life is
easier, it seems, with the proper filters.
Ron N