Big, fat, wide, shallow rib mystery "solved" ???????

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 17:24:32 -0800 (PST)

I'd love to, if I ever get the time. I'm guessin' that
the intent of this rib design is to maximize support,
while retaining excellent elasticity, and that the
grain orientation has a  lot to do with it. When you
pound these boards with your fist, they make an
exceedingly gratifing "THUMmmmmmmmmmm"
     Thump

P.S. If anyone out there wants to test this hypothesis
before I can, please feel free, and please report
back.

P.P.S. These ribs are also longly tapered, so the
maximum thickness is right under the bridge.