Flat Belly Rail

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 23:54:30 +0100

Hi folks

Digging more into this old Bluthner of mine... since the soundboard is
now out, I've noticed that the belly rail is dead flat.  I understand
(perhaps wrongly) that modern pianos have a curved rail to facilitate
the curvature of the crown somewhat.  In this instrument you may
remember... the grain is rougly perpendicular to the long bridge.  What
advantage would there be (if any) to the flat belly rail in this
instance, and is this something I should consider altering at all ?

Thanks
RicB