EMC and working time for soundboard panels

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 22:41:58 -0500

You can measure that fairly easily by weighing a few samples of spruce cut
to panel thickness. I did that a while back, and although I don't remember
the numbers exactly, I found that I can keep a 6.0 - 6.5% MC spruce panel
out in my 35% - 40% RH shop eight hours with no significant changes in MC.
Obviously a little higher RH is going to affect MC more rapidly.

Either weigh samples of  spruce or measure the panel across the grain.
Measure the panel width at initial conditions, dry it down and measure when
it stabilizes, and then test it for a day - take it out of the hot box and
let it sit in whatever climatic conditions you can reproduce in your shop
for eight hours (or how ever long you will need to do what you want to do)
and measure it. The measurement method really does work quite well - pretty
easy to observe how the panel is changing.

Terry Farrell