Upgrading.....

pianotune05 pianotune05@comcast.net
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 23:11:48 -0500

Hi JOhn,
Well hopefully, I'm practicing good habits, but I need to figure out =
where i'm losing time and change that.  One thing is muting.  I'm going =
to look in my schaff catelog and see if there's any kind of light, =
trouble light, type of thing i can clamp on the lid of a grand or put on =
an upright so I can really see the strings when I'm muting them. On =
grands, the three string unisons are a little close together in the =
trebble section.  Have you ever had any experience with a gang mute from =
Schaff?  They're pretty cool looking, a long rubber mute with wedges on =
it, about 13 I beleive. =20

I think my joining the PTg will be a marriage made in heaven.  I can't =
wait until I go tothat first meeting. =20
Marshall
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: John Formsma=20
  To: 'Pianotech List'=20
  Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 10:40 PM
  Subject: RE: Upgrading.....

  Marshall,

  =20

  It's important to think through the "why it works" and not just be =
content with the "that it works." In other words, you have to understand =
why you're doing something instead of just because someone said that's =
the way to do it. When you start thinking this way, things make more =
sense and you eventually become less dependent on others.

  =20

  Put a small rubber mute in between the first and second strings or use =
two large mutes - one beside the string and another against the strut. =
The first way you'll be tuning the string closest to the strut, and the =
second way you'll be tuning the middle string.

  =20

  Speed will come. I remember very well when I was in the same =
situation. There are several things you are working on all at once, and =
it takes time for them to come together. Keep practicing, but remember =
to practice correctly. Otherwise, you'll pick up bad habits.

  =20

  John Formsma

  =20

-----