Upgrading.....

pianotune05 pianotune05@comcast.net
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 22:17:33 -0500

I agree CY. I mean, I talk with people that tell me that their pianos =
haven't been tuned in years.  We should educate people on how to care =
for their pianos, and I think Randy Potter mentions something like this =
in his course.  great idea!  Somehow we need to bring piano owners to =
the realization that a piano is a terrible thing to waste.  Even =
something as small to some customers as placing a candle on the piano =
might not be a big deal to them, but education them that the wax can =
effect the finish might cause them to place more emphasis on the care of =
the piano etc.  You're right, the PTG needs to speak up more.=20
Marshall
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Cy Shuster=20
  To: Pianotech List=20
  Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 10:35 AM
  Subject: Re: Upgrading.....

  I agree about the title: "apprentice", "journeyman", "craftsman", =
"master craftsman" are well-known terms.  Cars, mail, trademarks, and =
sex offenders are "registered": stamped and labeled for tracking =
purposes.

  I think carrots are better than sticks in getting associates (like me) =
to upgrade.  I greatly appreciate the daylong Associates Seminars at the =
nationals (lots of work for the RPTs holding them), and the new ExamPrep =
mailing list.  By advertising PTG membership for associates, customers =
can at least know we have signed on to the code of ethics (why isn't =
that on the public side of the PTG site, BTW?).

  I believe we each have a mission to educate the public about pianos =
and the PTG.  While I wish the PTG had the budget to do more, the new =
website is a great start.  I encourage all of us with sites to link back =
to ptg.org, perhaps even to more than one area of the site.  Comments on =
my links are welcomed.

  --Cy--
  www.shusterpiano.com
    ----- Original Message -----=20