What's a fair price to charge for tuning a piano

Avery avery1@houston.rr.com
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 18:34:56 -0600

Marshall,

At 06:58 AM 2/11/2006, you wrote:
>HI Don,
>I don't know if I can or cannot out performe an ETD and I'd love to
>eventually have one just for peace of mind in noisey envirorments,
>but I think there's something to be said for counting beats aurlily
>rather than simply going up the piano and then doing unisons.

A really good tuner doesn't do that. Even if he/she uses an ETD. If
you have good aural sklls, set the temperament, then go both ways
just like an aural tuner would do, checking as you go!

>I think aural tuning and eTD tuning can go hand in hand as well.

Agreed. It's just another tool (or should be) in our arsenal! JMO.
Anyone I train is going to learn how to tune aurally first. Even if
"they" eventually use an ETD!

Avery