another CA question

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 09:38:34

Hi Maggie,

Its ten years since I did the first CA glue on a piano--it's still holding
up just fine. I do recommend humidity control at the highest possible level
after treatment. (but then I recommend that to all pianos).

There have been few horror stories about CA treatment and a multitude of
successes, so certainly this is now a valid repair for any piano. If it
doesn't work little has been lost, and if it does work much time and effort
have been saved.

There do seem to be "two camps" for treatment developing.

The "use lots" (of which I am a member, but for no documented reason), and
the "little dab ul do ya".

Use lots camp requires tipping for uprights, and often as not I'll treat
the bridges for hair line cracking at the same time.

For bridges I find that an application of "thin" seals the wood, and I then
follow up with "medium" to gap fill.

I start with the bridges, and then do the first application to the pins. By
then the thin coat on the bridges has "set up" and I apply "medium". Then I
do a second application of thin to pins, and I check the bridges again and
apply more medium as needed. Finally I do a third generous application to
the pins that have wound strings.

I've had more than a few rural clients do this application themselves. The
"record" application was 12 ounces with good results. The "record" for a
single pin was someone who applied 2.5 ounces to a single pin--I suspect he
was filling a huge separation or crack in the block.

At 04:10 AM 2/12/2006 +1300, you wrote:
>OK...  I'm back to experimenting...  (I have access to lots of junked
>pianos that have been "trashed" but can't be disposed of easily because of
>state policies affecting our local college.)
>
>I had success with CA gluing an upright pinblock without putting it on
>it's back.  It actually worked.  I used Q-tips to catch any drips, which I
>was pretty good at avoiding.  I used Stew-Mac pipettes to apply the glue,
>because the small tip could fit into the gaps between the pins and the
>wood, and because if it looked like I might drip, I could suck the glue
>back in.  Once the wood soaked up as much as it could, the glue "puddled"
>in the gaps without dripping.
>
>I don't know if I want to try this on a good piano, and may never, but
>it's interesting...  Any thoughts?
>
>-mags
>

>Maggie Jusiel

Regards,