boiled lindseed oil

Maggie Jusiel mags@magsmusic.net
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 04:04:35 +1300 (NZDT)

> Personally, I wouldn't even try it on my own "piece of junk" piano. If the
> pins are THAT loose, use CA!
>
> Avery Todd

...hee,hee...  No...definitely wouldn't experiment on a piano first.
Actually, my home experiments showed quickly that this was a bad idea.  I
tried a few things just because I had the wood.  The boiled lindseed oil
was way too thick to wick in.  When I thinned it, it was too diluted,
(this defeated my purpose, anyway), and as with Mike's experience below,
the pins just spinned.  So, no more experiments!  ;)

> At 11:19 PM 2/10/2006, you wrote:
>>Maggie,
>>
>>By all means, test this idea thoroughly before trying it on a piano.  I
>> was
>>called to tune an old upright a couple months ago.  Whole house smelled
>> of
>>linseed  oil.  The old oak piano fairly glistened, including the
>> open-face
>>pinblock.  Totally ruined.  Every pin spun down to zero tension, no grip
>>left at all.  They were going to experiment with flushing it with lacquer
>>thinner or acetone, then doping with CA.  If it worked, they would call
>> be
>>back for tuning.  No calls yet.....
>>
>>Mike

...giggle...HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!  ...sorry...not funny...bad maggie...  ;P

Maggie Jusiel
Piano Tuner
Winds & Strings Teacher
PO Box 1234