boiled lindseed oil

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 23:19:02 -0600

Maggie,

By all means, test this idea thoroughly before trying it on a piano.  I was
called to tune an old upright a couple months ago.  Whole house smelled of
linseed  oil.  The old oak piano fairly glistened, including the open-face
pinblock.  Totally ruined.  Every pin spun down to zero tension, no grip
left at all.  They were going to experiment with flushing it with lacquer
thinner or acetone, then doping with CA.  If it worked, they would call be
back for tuning.  No calls yet.....

Mike