Bluthner on Bluthner

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 16:11:25 -0800

Some great tips..good job Geoff...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, California

Original message
From: "Geoff Sykes"
To: "Pianotech@Ptg. Org"
Subject: Bluthner on Bluthner

Greetings all --

I have been following the conversation on how to tune the fourth string=
 on a Bluthner piano and what I noticed is that everybody appears to be=
 guessing. I'm sure that is not really the case, but most of the respon=
ses sure read that way. Anyway, I decided to do a little research and w=
rote to Bluthner UK directly. Below is my message to them and one R D W=
ilson's reply.

I recently had the opportunity to look over an older Bluthner concert g=
rand. It had been in storage and was about to be shipped back out to th=
e owner. In investigating the fourth string on this piano I sadly disco=
vered that while the ones in the treble section were fine, all of them =
in the alto section had been deliberately damped off with stringing bra=
id. So much for seeing how they might have been tuned. Why do you suppo=
se this was done?

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Assoc. Los Angeles

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D