soundboard buttons

Joseph Alkana josephspiano@comcast.net
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 19:56:12 -0800

A new subject I need some advise on, please!=20

Tuned a nine foot Estonia today, it had some noticeable buzzing going =
on. I won't pose this as a puzzler as I need some advice on the subject =
asap. The cause of the buzzing was broken soundboard buttons. They were =
made of some kind of nylon or plastic and all of them had broken in half =
thru the screw hole. I took quite a handful of debris from all the =
locations and tossed it. Now there are screws standing proud of the =
board by a good half-inch.=20

The question: Should I order some buttons and replace, or remove all the =
screws as a cosmetic solution. I can detect no change in the tonal =
quality of the instrument at this point and I don't have any way to tell =
if the bridge/board is compromised in any way. The instrument is about =
twelve years old and has had hammers shaped and a fine regulation done =
of recent times. Except for a poor feel in the action, which would =
benefit mightily with a Stanwood application and a lightening of the =
hammers, I don't find the piano in too bad of shape. Yes, the buzzing is =
gone. And, yes the Estonia is going to be replace with a Steinway soon.

Suggestions please?=20

Joseph Alkana RPT