Answer to puzzler

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 21:25:53 -0600

Alan,

Just curious, did you notice how out of regulation the piano was while =
you were tuning it?  Did you mention to the customer that it needed work =
when you were done tuning?  =20

It's so weird seeing old names surfacing as new pianos.

Barbara Richmond
near Peoria, IL

-----
  Original message
  From: "Alan Barnard"=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Subject: Answer to puzzler

  Didn't get very many responses to this puzzler, but I wil reveal the =
answer:

  Conover upright, newish.
  Customer complained that the soft pedal didn't seem to work.
  Found that the prop stick was not in the hole. Put it in the hole and =
regulated it.
  Tuned the piano. Drove away.
  5 minutes later, I get a call on my cell: "Two notes don't work when I =
press the soft pedal."
  Turn around, go back. Sure enough two notes (f3 and g3) don't work =
unless you hit the keys quite hard.
  What was wrong?
  Hint (things that were NOT wrong): No hammer interference or any =
problems with rubbing or interfering parts. No foreign objects. No =
keystick problems. No loose screws. No flange problems. Nothing broken.
  Hint: The fix took one tool and about 30 seconds (after about 3 =
minutes of professional analysis and diagnosis, i.e., chin scratching, =
confused wonderment, and blank staring).

  Answer: Letoff was so early (about 1/2 inch) that, with the rest rail =
lifted, there just wan't enough oomph in the key stroke to throw the =
hammer to the strings. I ended up adjusting letoff on most notes and =
increased aftertouch on the whole piano by replacing the front rail =
felts with thinner ones.=20

  "Why not just remove punchings?" you may ask. (Go ahead, ask, you know =
you're dying to...) The reason was that many notes had no punchings =
whatsoever under them, and many others had just one or two thin ones!

  I don't think it was set up well at the factory and certainly not in =
the store.

  Alan Barnard
  Salem, Missouri