440 vs 442

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 15:46:14 -0800

I'm with Mr. May except "most" can't hear the difference between 440 an=
d 442...and for him to say it "makes my music so much better" is balone=
y IMHO...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, California

Original message
From: "Joseph Garrett"
To: pianotech
Subject: Re: 440 vs 442

Mr May said: "I have suggested that there isn't an ear in the world tha=
t can hear the difference between 440 and 442 "

NOT! I've personally had experiences where the Artist knew damned well =
what pitch the piano was at! One, incidence: Tete Montilo, a Spanish Ja=
zz Muscician of extremely high caliber. He is blind and only has good h=
earing in one ear. During a Jazz Festival, I enjoyed his playing and to=
ld him so. His comment was that the Steinway D was nice but it would ha=
ve been nicer if it were at 442. At that time, I didn't consider that h=
e could really know. After the Festival, he was scheduled to do a priva=
te party in a local Night Club, on a different piano. I was asked to tu=
ne for it. On a whim, I set the piano at 442, just to see if he could t=
ell. I didn't tell anyone.<G> Immediately after the first "set", he had=
 his sister steer him to me. He was quite jubilant and said: "Thank you=
, so much, for tuning the piano at 442. It makes my music better!" Yes,=
 there are those who can tell the difference. Do I advocate 442? Not no=
, Hell No! IMO, it's just stupid. But, that's just my o! pinion. Does i=
t make the piano project better? I don't think so, but there's no way t=
o really tell.
On the few, rare occasions, that I do concert work, where 442 is reques=
ted, I will only do it, IF the artist will pay for the retuning of the =
instrument back to 440. So far, none have agreed to that, so they get 4=
40! IMO, the venue should not have to bear the cost of this nonsense.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I