Cracked Bridge-New Baldwin Console-Need Advice

Greg Livingston pianotuner440@hotmail.com
Mon, 06 Feb 2006 03:35:23 +0000

Dear Friends,
A customer has a 5 year old Baldwin console with a crack about 12 inches
long in the treble bridge, big enough to stick a business card in.  The
piano sounds like hitting a marimba with a timpani stick.  The owner wants
to replace it.  I'm new at this and don't do shopwork- and I understand that
none of you can diagnose a pian on line- but do you think I could somehow
get some CA between the strings, into the crack, and drill a hole through
the bridge/soundboard and put in a nut and bolt?  I thought, if it's going
to be replaced, I might as well learn something.

(It was seen by a friend of mine who does extensive rebuilding and
proclaimed the PSO to be DOA)

Any suggestions are sincerely appreciated.  Thanks,
Greg Livingston
Gregory P. Livingston, Piano Tuning and Service
781-237-9178
Piano Technicians Guild, associate member
(Boston chapter)

                          *   *   *
Always remember September 11, 2001