Pinblock fitting

Ted Simmons tsimmons4@cfl.rr.com
Sun, 05 Feb 2006 15:57:17 -0500

Whatıs the latest on whether or not a pinblock should butt against the plate
flange?  I have a customer who has a rebuilt piano that wonıt hold tune for
even a day and when I removed the action and checked the pinblock-to-plate
fit I found gaps throughout, some as much as 1/8 inch.  Two weeks after I
tuned it I found it over 20 cents flat and had to give it a pitch raise.  A
few weeks later it was overly flat again and in need of a pitch raise.  I
explained to the customer about the pinblock to plate flange fit but he said
that he was told by the rebuilder that such a thing was not important.  To
top it off he did some research and got conflicting comments.  Some said the
piano is OK as is while others held to the conviction that the gaps in the
pinblock are the problem with his piano.  I need some backup in my
assessment, either pro or con.

Ted Simmons
Viera, Florida