Key Button Installation

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 10:33:12 -0800

------=_NextPart_001_0022_01C62A3F.90C677F0
Here is a picture of a one inch sander with a clamped board behind using =
short ends of angle brackets to serve as a stop.  Adjust position with a =
straight edge against the belt and clamp with a couple of squeeze =
clamps.

Now the second picture shows how you can just zip off the overhang =
without taking a bunch of wood off the key.  First time I tried this =
without the stop, the dam key almost disappeared.  Use 35 or 50 grit =
belts.  Works fast.

Carl Meyer PTG assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Michael Spalding=20
  To: Pianotech List=20
  Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 3:13 AM
  Subject: RE: Key Button Installation

  Terry,

  David Betts gave a class on this (in Nashville?).    Can't find the =
handout.   For each section of keys, cut the new buttons to the average =
angle and wider than the key.  Installation is in the keyframe in two =
batches,  every other key so you have clearance in between.   Or three =
batches, if you want to do the blacks separate from the whites.  Keys =
resting on wooden bars so they are level and at the right height.   May =
have to remove front punchings.  Straight edge on top of keys along =
front of buttons for alignment, both angular and front-to-back.  =
Side-to-side alignment is provided by the balance rail pin.  No clamps =
required:  Tite-bond, hold in place for count of 7, move on.   When =
fully cured, trim flush to key with band saw, finish with sandpaper =
block.  2 hours sounds optimistic, would you settle for 4 to 5?  Clear =
as mud??

  Mike=20

    ----- Original Message -----=20