Key Button Installation

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sun, 05 Feb 2006 11:09:10 -0400

Hi Terry,
I have used the Jaras jig for replacement of a few on a piano, but not a whole set.
The jig seems to work well, in the alignment of the slot to the key movement, and also the centering.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Michael Spalding
  To: Pianotech List
  Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 7:13 AM
  Subject: RE: Key Button Installation

  Terry,

  David Betts gave a class on this (in Nashville?).    Can't find the handout.   For each section of keys, cut the new buttons to the average angle and wider than the key.  Installation is in the keyframe in two batches,  every other key so you have clearance in between.   Or three batches, if you want to do the blacks separate from the whites.  Keys resting on wooden bars so they are level and at the right height.   May have to remove front punchings.  Straight edge on top of keys along front of buttons for alignment, both angular and front-to-back.  Side-to-side alignment is provided by the balance rail pin.  No clamps required:  Tite-bond, hold in place for count of 7, move on.   When fully cured, trim flush to key with band saw, finish with sandpaper block.  2 hours sounds optimistic, would you settle for 4 to 5?  Clear as mud??

  Mike