Brass Rail to Wood Flange Conversion

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Sun, 05 Feb 2006 10:24:53 -0800

At 02:08 PM 2/5/2006 -0400, Terry wrote:
>I have to admit that I still like the idea of having the full height of
>the flange intimately contacting the action rail. If nothing else, it will
>likely make me sleep better at night....

How about routing a shallow groove the length of the new rail, and gluing a
strip of wood in to act as a spline, which would emerge just far enough to
fill the cutout in the flanges? You might need to ease the edges with a
small hand plane, maybe more easily before gluing it in, since I believe
the original rails had a tapered profile to the ridge.

You could try it on a shorter piece of scrap, to be sure it would work,
before starting in on the real action rail.

Susan