Pinblock CA after Dope?

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Sun, 05 Feb 2006 12:13:05

Hi Susan,

I may for minimum treatment on a grand--but on an upright with tipping
involved I'd really rather use "too much" rather than have to tip, and tip
and tip again. (read "do not tiptoe thru the tulips")

I also often suggest the clients do the application themselves. One nice
person used 12 ounces of glue on a previously doped block. I didn't have to
*tap* even once on that piano.

I'm also quite convinced that tighter pins are better than medium pins--at
least for domestic pianos. They simply are more stable as far as tuning goes.

The fumes are unpleasant to some of us.

At 10:00 AM 2/5/2006 -0800, you wrote:
>Don, here, you've said it yourself! "Use lots of CA" followed by "before you
>shear them off"
>
>DON'T use lots of CA, so that they DON'T become frozen! Use just ENOUGH
>CA so that they aren't loose anymore. Only trial and error can tell you
>how much that is, but I think you'll be surprised at how small an amount
>will give you good results. Unlike doping hammers, for instance, a
>second application of CA works even better than the first, so if you
>find you've used too little (which I've found very seldom happens)
>you can just add a little more at the next visit. If, on the other
>hand, you always "use lots of CA" you'll never be able to find out how
>much is optimum, because you'll always use more CA than optimum, probably
>a LOT more. It also has very nasty fumes in large volume. How much is
>your health worth? Enough to revisit an automatic decision about how
>much CA is "right"? Heck, that's FREE! All it takes is some mental
>flexibility.
>
>sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssnnnnn (sheesh .....)

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@yahoo.com	http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner